6 years ago
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Potty Training Blues
I am just so exasperated with potty training. This has been over a year now of struggling - I just don't know what to do. We'll have several weeks where she's wonderful - she'll tell me when she needs to go, or she'll just go by herself - no mommy needed . . . it's great! I will think that we are finally done with this awful parenting saga. And then we'll have this week. 2 days in a row this week - she has an accident on the couch . . . not just little accidents but full blown accidents. I know she knows how to use the potty! Why does she do this? Couch cushions are not the easiest thing to clean! I hate this. This is absolutely hands down the worst part of parenting so far. And . . . yesterday we were at a friends house with lots of other families having dinner - Allison was busy playing with friends. And she has another huge accident! This one baffles me because I took her to the bathroom 45 minutes before she had the accident. She told me she didn't need help - she could go by herself - so I didn't see if she actually went . . . she must not have . . . this is so frustrating! I don't get it. I've tried everything. We've done the treats when she goes potty. I've tried putting her in the shower after she has an accident . . . (she doesn't like showers) and so I thought this would be a deterrent. We've done the potty dice - when she doesn't want to sit on the potty she can roll the dice and choose an activity to do while on the potty . . . now I've pulled out my 'Singing Makes us Happy Face' - stuck it on the fridge, put a wrapped up a My Little Pony on top of the fridge, and each day she is accident-free - she gets to choose a face piece and put it on - and once the face is completed she gets to open up the 'big girl gift'. I'm running out of ideas. The thing is - I know she can do this. I think she just gets so caught up in whatever she is doing, and doesn't want to pause to go potty . . . and then we have the accidents. And we're no where even near nighttime trained. I have no idea how to do that one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
I totally agree it is the worst thing about parenthood but you'll get through it. Sometimes you need to just let them be back in diapers and try again when they are ready, ya know! It sucks, believe me but it will get better! Good luck!
Oh, Wendy, you have more ideas than I've ever thought of! Taylor absolutely LOVES M&M's and they don't even work with him! Strange!! I feel your pain ... although, I haven't even taken Taylor out of diapers, yet! I dread the couch disaster time! I'll pray for you! :)
Yeah I'm wish Ashley there. It just sounds like she is not entirely ready. I would put her back in diapers and wait a while to try it again. Sorry, potty training sucks. Noah still sleeps in a pull up. Apparently doctors don't worry about bedwetting until the kid is like 8. (So I have years of nasty pee smelling child each morning ahead of me...yay!) It sounds to me like she, and you :), may just need to take a break. You want it to be something she learns to do so that she is trained to do it, there's no point in training yourself to run her to the bathroom every fifteen minutes--that's the opposite of potty trained. Hang in there...it gets better.
I wish I had some ideas to share with you, but I don't even dare to start potty training Addie and now I never want too. Good luck can't wait to see you guys next week.
Post a Comment