Thursday, September 11, 2008

Simple Moments

So there are a few dishes in the sink (the remaining pots and pans I was leaving until last), and some almost moldy cantaloupe I need to cut up and get in the fridge before it really gets too bad to use (I bought a pack of 3 cantaloupe at Costco - thinking it was a great price . . . but then I forget I have to use it right away before it goes bad) . . . but I'm leaving all of that for the moment so I can sit down and write down some of the simple moments this week that I don't want to forget. The pots and cantaloupe can wait . . .

I love being a mother. There are moments each day that warm my heart in ways I didn't know it could be warmed . . . and I don't want to forget those.

1 - Taking Allison and Carter to the park yesterday evening, right before bedtime - while Anthony was at mutual. We just got Allison a new bike for her birthday - and watching her ride it . . . she just looked so grown up! Where has time gone?!

2 - Reading 'Oops and Daisy goes to the Zoo' to Allison and Carter on the beanbag in Carter's room . . . and Allison finding the picture of Oops and Daisy waddling like a penguin and saying "I can waddle like a penguin too!' She jumps up and starts waddling. So funny!

3 - Carter starts crying while Anthony and I were talking - he just got home from work - and Allison comes into the room, concern on her face, and tells us "My little brother's sad."

4 - Allison randomly throughout the day calling me 'Allison' and informing me that she is 'Mommy'. She informed me that she was going to say the prayer on the food, and after lunch she came and got my plate and put it in the sink.

5 - Playing pretend at the park. Allison was again "Mommy" and I was "Allison" . She told me that her piano students were coming over - and that Carter and I needed to watch a Baby Einstein. She showed me how to put the DVD in up by the slides. And she went down on the steps and taught her piano lesson. (it's quite an educational experience having a little person mimic your actions)

6 - Allison sharing with Carter and then coming to me - so proud - telling me that she was sharing and being kind and loving.

7 - Allison helping me prepare Family Home Evening. We used the new nursery manual and planned a lesson about taking care of our bodies.

8 - Carter so excited to be at PlayPals - at the rec center gym - running across the gym floor - tripping on his feet and falling on his face, yet getting right back up - enthusiasm undeterred!

9 - Baking cookies with Allison.

10 - Hmm . . . there has to be a tenth . . . oh yes - Allison suddenly deciding to whisper when she talks to me. I think she has discovered that I have to pay a lot more attention when she starts to whisper :). Smart girl!

Other news from this week . . .

Anthony started his new job at a small company in Boulder this week. He's excited to learn new things.

I did get into the preschool class I wanted to at the Rec center. Hooray! I'm feeling very appreciative of the director who was so understanding.

We started a rotating preschool with a 3 other girls in the neighborhood. I did my first preschool today - we did 'A is for Apple' activities. I enjoy planning preschool so much!

1 comment:

Smart Family said...

I love the new look! I love that you have dishes in your sink sometimes too.