Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Tomato

I have sewn, grown, and eaten my first tomato this week. Yes - a plant that I put into the ground with my own two hands, has born fruit - and it was edible! This is a major step in my life. Thanks so much to my wonderful garden-guru sister-in-law, Natalie, who patiently answered my novice questions as I set out to plant a garden this spring. I had in my mind that planting a garden was some big scientific complicated process, that I was definitely not qualified to undertake . . . I worried about where to put the garden - would it be OK by the fence, how do I prep the soil, am I planting the right kinds of plants, do I water with the hose? Do I need to have some complicated drip line system . . . I kept thinking of all these variables that I didn't know much about - and felt like I had no idea how to juggle and balance all of them . . . but finally I just planted a tomato plant - a leap of faith, and it grew! I didn't even have to water it that much - the sprinklers took care of it. I was making it way too hard! I was going to post a picture of my first tomato - but I ate it without thinking to take a picture. Nuts. But Carrie assured me as I was telling her about my tomato tonight - that she has seen a tomato before, and would be OK without the picture.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I am excited for you. I would have loved to see your tomato because I know how awesome it is to watch a garden bear fruit. We can't wait for next spring to come so we can plant a garden. Nothing compares to garden fresh produce!

Jennifer Kessen said...

Wendy! I am so proud of you. See, I told you it wasn't that hard. Certainly, if you can raise 2 children then you can grow a tomato. Congrats! Still waiting on mine to ripen.